Wednesday, December 31, 2008

On Hypocrisy

I hate it.

I realize that this in itself is somewhat hypocritical, as I have likely been hypocritical in the past. I also realize that it is inevitable, as it is part of human nature to be contradictory. But as a general thing, it is annoying, ridiculous, and many times avoidable.

One particular example of hypocrisy that annoys the hell out of me is that of oppressed minorities, such as the LGBT and Wiccan communities. Now, I do not mean to say that everyone is like this. But it is an attitude that is unfortunately common among those who are looked down on/shunned by the majority.

The attitude is this: a member of an oppressed minority being intolerant of members of accepted majorities.

I realize where this comes from. I understand it. I've had to fight it off myself. But think about it, just for a moment; if you, as a member of an oppressed minority, do not tolerate others, you're sinking to their level. You are no better than they are. The fact of the matter is that they can afford to be intolerant. They have the upper hand. But that does not, under any circumstances, give you the right to do the same back to them. It is irrevocably hypocritical to ask for tolerance while you yourself are intolerant.

Be tolerant. Don't sink down into the pit of intolerance. Let them learn from your example.

That's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment