Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Theological disagreements with Christianity

Yes, I realize I just posted about this. No, I don't particularly care. Do I have a reason for making two different posts about similar topics? Why yes, in fact, I do. The last was a marginally angry rant about something that pisses me off. This is a (hopefully) calmer explanation of why I don't think I could ever be a Christian.

First and foremost, as I mentioned in the previous post; I think the Bible is outdated and fairly ridiculous at best, totally full of BS at worst. It certainly needs to be taken with a grain of salt. This was written thousands of years ago. Knock knock, modern society here! The world has changed, and some of the stuff in the Bible just no longer applies. Most of the reasons have to do with how people use it to argue against gay marriage, which is where my mind is going next, so I will likely post for that in a little bit.

I find no real attraction in the idea of Heaven. Being happy, 24/7, does not appeal to me. Life appeals to me, and that is no kind of life. Life has ups and downs. In life, you must make mistakes, learn from them, and grow. To be truly happy, you have to be sad sometimes. You can't have one without the other; just like you can't have light without shadows. Eternal life in heaven doesn't seem like much of a life to me, so I prefer not to believe in it.

I absolutely despise the idea of a Christian being somehow better than everyone else. So I believe a different thing than you do. It's none of your business, and it most certainly does not make you better than me, nor me better than you.

I don't like the idea of someone judging me from on high. They say that God loves all his children; well, apparently not, or there wouldn't be a Hell. And yeah, yeah, people go to hell because they sin or whatever. But who decides what's a sin? God, supposedly. So in the end it is God who sends people to Hell. Regardless, I hate being judged. By anyone. It's my life, to do with as I please. It's not anyone's place but mine to judge me.

In Christianity, it's always God's responsibility. If someone wants to stop a bad habit or turn their entire life around, who do they go to? God. If someone wants to help a friend or family member with something, who do they go to? God. Honestly, do it yourself! Take some responsibility, for once; get up off your lazy ass and go fix it yourself! Your life, your problem; you fix it!

It seems to an outsider that Christians are always looking at what's going to happen after they die. And yet, by their beliefs, you only get one life on Earth. So make the best of it! Whatever happens after death, you can deal with it after you've died. Live while you have the chance.

So yeah. Considering I have a problem with pretty much every fundamental Christian belief, I don't think I'll be converting any time soon.

That said, I don't have a problem with someone else believing in it. That's not my business.

That's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment