Tuesday, December 30, 2008

On being queer

This is mostly triggered by a series of arguments I had with a Christian friend (who will not be named) upon coming out to said friend.

First, foremost, and possibly most important; being gay is not a choice. It just isn't. Someone who is gay did not just wake up one morning and decide that he or she was going to be romantically/sexually interested in the same gender.
For one thing, there is genetic evidence that gay and straight people are wired differently. It's like having brown or black hair. Let's say you have brown eyes; how would you like it if someone came up and said you were going to hell because your eyes were brown? Really. It's the same.
Also, it's just stupid to think that someone would decide to be persecuted. That someone would decide to be shunned by many people in society. That someone would decide to give up their right to be with their loved one in a way that society would recognize. It's just stupid. Seriously.

I do not believe that someone's sexuality is something that can be changed. I suppose if you really tried, you could suppress that side of you, and maybe even convince yourself to be happy ignoring a part of who you are. Truly, though, I don't think it would change. It's wired into you.

Now, this is just something I want to get out there, because it's something I went through; if someone comes out to you, as a friend, they are looking for support. In a way, they need that support. They may be scared or uncertain, especially if you are the first they've come out to. Judging them and telling them they are going to hell does not help. Not a bit. So be supportive, please.

Let's assume, for a moment, that you can change your sexuality. Hypothetically. It shouldn't matter. It shouldn't. Because there is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay. Nothing. Nothing at all. It's just that society has placed that idea in our collective minds; the idea that somehow, love is not okay when it's between two men or two women. Love is love is love is fucking love, alright? Gender doesn't matter, not really.

Being queer doesn't make me who I am. It's a part of me, and one I am stubbornly proud of, but it does not define me. Don't define someone by who they love. For that matter, don't condemn someone for who they love, either.

By the way, this is the first time I have (somewhat) publicly outright said that I am, in fact, queer. I'm done hiding it. I am done worrying about what people might think, because "the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind". Dr. Seuss was a wicked rhymester and a wise man.

So yeah. I'm here. I'm queer. Deal with it.

4 comments:

  1. Your blog kicks ass! LOVE IT. Keep writing! You have my support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am the friend with whom you had those arguments, as I remember them exactly. If not, we at least had some similar arguments. I am going to write this under the assumption that I am that one, and these are the arguments we had.

    One, I understand completely that I have said in the past some things that are incorrect or (unintentionally) derogatory towards the LGBT community in general and you in particular. But you have GOT to realize some stuff, Dev.

    ~I spent my whole life being told by my parents, family and church that gay marriage, gay love, homosexuality in general was one of the worst of sins. It is only in the past year that I have attempted to change my views and be accepting and supportive towards the LGBT community
    ~....And you know why I did that? Because of YOU, Devon. You. Because I'm not ashamed to admit it...if I didn't have a gay friend, if gay rights was something that didn't affect me or one I love personally, I probably would be fairly apathetic about it. Just like you're apathetic about abortion because you dont' know what it was like to almost be denied a chance to live because some woman whose name you don't even know was almost too selfish to endure a little pain for nine months. So all these changes, this pretty much turnaround in my beliefs on the subject, the constant fear that I'm going to Hell....it was done for your sake, Devon.
    ~Yes, I'm suffering for it, OK! I'm not trying to get your pity or be a martyr here, but I do want you to be aware that I am now shunned at church by several people whom I once considered friends, and have had several arguments with my parents on the subject that have resulted in severe punishments and once even being told to my face "I hate you" by a parent. Yes, I've gone through some crap. I admit it's not serious crap but it's still....Crap. And I did it for you, Devon, because I love you. Yeah. There. I said it.
    You can be mad if you want. But this needed said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It feels weird to be commenting on my own blog. Heh. But this is a response to Sofri's comment.
    Mkay. Here goes:

    This post was not an attack on you. It wasn't intended as an attack on any one person in particular. It wasn't even really meant as an attack, but if it was attacking anything, the target was bigoted, homophobic views in general.

    I fully realize that your views have changed. Between the two of us, we've been over pretty much everything I said in the post. I also realize that you've been taking crap for it. You've told me before and I've said before that taking crap comes with the territory. If you support something that most of society doesn't you're going to take crap for it. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is.

    So yeah. Not mad or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. Also, I totally didn't know you had a blog. It's cool. I completely agree with your rants. Even this one is true, as I admit my opinions years ago were royally screwed up.
    Check your email--I probably flooded it with rants since I got back.
    <3 u, Sofri.

    ReplyDelete