Friday, January 2, 2009

Regarding Proposition 8

Mmkay. Was watching this video on Youtube and had the urge to say something "to" the supporters of Proposition 8. I put "to" in quotes because none of them will read this. But it makes me feel better.

Starting below, this is directed purely at those who voted yes on Proposition 8. Ahem.

I just have one question for all of you bigots. Who the hell do you think you are? Who gave you the right to impose your views on the rest of California? Who gave you the right to deny gay and lesbian couples their rights? Who gave you the goddamn right to make LGBT people into second class citizens?

We've done nothing to you. Allowing gay marriage would do nothing to you. No one is asking you to marry someone of the same gender. So you think it's a sin to love someone who is of the same gender: bully for you. That doesn't give you the right to tell the rest of us how to live our lives. If you think it's so bad, stand back and tut all you like, but don't tell me I can't marry the one I love. Don't tell me how to live. It's my life; I'll live it however I damn well please, and that includes, if I so choose, marrying that one special person, regardless of what gender they may be!

Jon Stewart had it right. By telling us we cannot marry, you are forcing us to make our case, to prove that we deserve the same rights as everyone else. Whatever happened to equality? Whatever happened to those basic rights that every human deserves? I suppose next you're going to start preaching that we aren't human; it wouldn't surprise me. You've been so unreasonable up until now, I suppose I should be ready for anything.

But in the end, you know, it won't matter. With every generation, your close-minded influence grows weaker and weaker. It's natural progression. Simply by being right, we've already won the fight. It's only a matter of time until you oppressive bigots fade into infamy, just like those who supported slavery. The only variable now is just how long it will take for the world to wake up and take notice.

So enjoy it while you can, because it won't last forever. Enjoy this brief period of time where you have triumphed over the 'sinners'. Because we aren't going to take it lying down. We will get our (dare I say it?) god-given rights, whether you like it or not.

That's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment